Umbel Campaigns & Engagements Overviews
Umbel is a platform created to help marketers in the sports, media, and entertainment industries grow their fanbase, target their fans, provide them with better in-venue experiences, and sell more tickets. Umbel achieved this by allowing marketers to import all of their fan data from disparate systems and consolidate that data down to the single fan level providing a rich profile about each fan.
In the product, marketers could view how segments differed or compared to their audience as a whole to find cohorts of people to market to on Facebook, email or other social networks and then view any Facebook campaign results in the app. Umbel also helped marketers acquire new fan data via our hosted “Activations” we called Activators (later referred to as “Engagements”). These were micro-sites we hosted for our clients usually consisting of enter-to-win contests or giveaways our users could launch in just a few minutes with a goal of collecting a users information for the chance to win or receive a prize.
This project came about when we attempted to envision what an Umbel dashboard could be via a GV Design Sprint. After I began to work through what an MVP dashboard could be based on the testing during the Design Sprint, it became apparent that there were some core product enhancements that would need to take place before we even began to consider a project like a dashboard. You can read more on that exercise we conducted here.
We would need to improve two core offerings of the Umbel platform: the media campaigns and Umbel hosted Engagement pages. The problem with these pages is that they only displayed data for individual campaigns and engagements, but didn’t provide a way to see aggregates of that data over a period of time. This made determining whether the social media campaigns we ran for our clients or their fan data acquisitions were a success or a failure.
Using specific feedback from users during the Design Sprint user testing we conducted a few weeks prior, I would start by compiling the aggregate metrics we would show for each campaign/engagement type when it is filtered, as well as the metrics we would show in the rows and columns for the single campaign/engagements. I would need to work internally with our Media Campaigns Team and Client Services Team to determine key campaign and engagement metrics to surface based on reports they would send to clients.
I would need to quickly ideate on what the next versions of these overview sections could be make sure that this current solution would allow for further iteration that wouldn’t require a complete reconfiguration of this section. Then I would need to get some clients eyes on these to make sure we are meeting their expectations and seeing if there are any metrics we are missing.
We decided the first step to making an eventual dashboard should be to aggregate metrics for our campaigns and engagements by creating sections at the top of each page to show aggregate data. Adding time filtering, campaign/engagement type filtering, and a multi-select option for each single campaign/engagement could allow our clients to see aggregates in any way they might need.
The data we show would be updated based on the campaign/engagement type filter in order to show more value and metrics that are specific to evaluating the success or failure of those specific types of campaigns/engagements. Finally, we updated the expanded view of these sections in order to reflect the new main evaluation metric for that type of media or engagement campaign.